For many homeowners, winter is a stressful period. Frozen pipes, ice dams and other snow-related issues are always a possibility. However, there is one form of winter weather that you may not have considered: hail.
Let’s look at some specific sorts of damage and hail sizes to learn more about the types of hail that might harm your roofing:
How Does Hail Destroy a Roof?
On the surface of the shingle, hail damage appears as divots, indentations and cracks. Roof hail damage can form in a random pattern on the roof, flashings and siding because hail falls in a random pattern. There’s a significant possibility the shingle is damaged if you observe the asphalt particles clustering together.
What Size of Hail Causes Roof Damage?
Any size of hail can cause damage depending on the roof’s condition and the speed of the hailstones. In terms of resilience, metal roofs outperform asphalt. The following size guidelines give an idea of possible damage.
- ¾” Hail – Though the smallest hail we measure, it can still be devastating depending on wind velocity. Large hail destroys vinyl siding, window screens, metal fascia, and deck paint. It also damages asphalt shingles, gutters, and downspouts. Due to its small size, hail under one inch typically goes undetected
- 1” Hail – After 1”, shingle underlayment is bruised, and siding, gutters, and fascia are severely damaged. Wind speeds will affect the level of damage, and roof damage will resemble that produced by smaller hail.
- 1¼” Hail – The severity of hail increases by 14%. Hail can turn your roofing into swiss cheese. Even without wind, this hail will do damage by dropping from the sky.
- 1½” Hail – Large hail causes substantial property damage. If you live in a hailstorm, you need to take precautions to protect your property.
- 1¾ – 2” Hail – Now the hail is big enough to pierce softer roof components like ridge caps or plastic roof vents. When combined with wind, this size hail can completely remove siding, fracture windows, and damage most metal fixtures.
- 2” Hail – Anything larger than this will severely damage your property. We no longer inquire “if” you have property damage, but “where.” Immediately after a storm, hire a roofing contractor with insurance experience.
You can count on State Roofing for high-quality exterior improvement solutions, including roof repair, roof replacement and deck-building. Our certified team is committed to delivering industry-leading products and outstanding customer service to ensure the comfort and satisfaction of our customers in Seattle and Tacoma, WA.
To request a free, no-obligation quote, call us at (360) 732-8104 or fill out our contact form. We serve home and business owners in Bothell, Everett and Seattle, WA.